Image Map

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I HAVE TOO MANY MASCARAS

When I first started wearing makeup, I was too afraid to wear mascara. I thought I would poke myself in the eye and that it would look weird on me because I have nearly white eyelashes and eyebrows. (I did poke myself a few times.)

Eventually, my mom bought me some clear mascara and I started to figure out how to apply mascara without smearing black all over my face. Then I progressed to brown mascara, and eventually black. Now, mascara is the one item I will never, ever leave the house without wearing, and I've got quite the little collection. I thought I would make a list of my mascaras and lists some of my favorites (and not-so-favorites!)






From left to right: Covergirl Lash Blast Volume | Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Babydoll | Blinc Mascara | Buxom Lash | Tarte lights, camera, FLASHES | Too Faced Better Than Sex | Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes | MAKE UP FOR EVER Smoky Extravagant Mascara | Clinique High Impact Mascara | Sephora Outrageous Volume Mascara | Benefit They're Real! Mascara | Maybelline The Falsies Volum Express | Too Faced Better than Sex 

Covergirl Lash Blast Volume
I used to use this with the Maybelline Great Lash and Falsies mascara to give my eyes a very dramatic, voluminous look and I loved it. It's great on its own for beginners, but it can be a little wet sometimes and take a while to dry. I tend to like plastic brushes more than bristles, so this worked well for me.

Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Babydoll 
Not a huge fan of this mascara other than bottom lashes. It lengthens and separates lashes, but like I said, I like a very voluminous and dramatic look and this didn't give me that. It does work well on bottom eyelashes, as it gives them definition without looking too spider-y.

Blinc Mascara
I have nothing good to say about this mascara, to be honest. It barely did anything for my lashes.

Buxom Lash
This is another good mascara. The brush is plastic and slightly hourglass shaped, and it gives volume and definition.

Tarte lights, camera, FLASHES
I like this mascara a lot! The brush is plastic, and the bristles are fairly long and pointy so it can really get into your lashes and add volume. It did dry out fairly quickly for me, though.

Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes
This particular version of the Great Lash has a small, triangle shaped brush that works well for getting the lashes on the outer corners of your eyes or for bottom lashes. It's cheap, too.

MAKE UP FOR EVER Smoky Extravagant Mascara
This mascara wasn't anything special, but it didn't suck, either. It's kind of 'meh' (for me, at least) and it took a LOT of coats to get the look I like.

Clinique High Impact Mascara
Again, this mascara was just okay.

Now, my favorites!


Sephora Outrageous Volume
I like volume in my lashes, and this DEFINITELY gives it. I usually pair it with one of my other favorites, Benefit They're Real!, which gives me the look I want. It has short, spiky bristles on its plastic wand and lets you get super close to the lashline.

Too Faced Better than Sex
This is my holy grail of mascaras. I'm normally not a huge fan of standard bristle brushes, but I love, love LOVE this mascara. It goes on so smoothly and dries quickly and doesn't flake. Sadly, I am running out of this and need to get a new one soon. Too Faced, help a girl out?

Benefit They're Real!
Like I mentioned earlier, I pair this with the Sephora Outrageous Volume and get exactly the look I love. The plastic brush has SUPER spiky bristles, so getting to the lashline isn't very easy, but once you've got the other mascara on this is a dream. I apply it on the back side of my lashes (does that make sense?) and use the special knob on the end to separate them. It's so great.

Maybelline The Falsies Volum Express
Finally, The Falsies. This mascara has a cult following, and for a good reason. It's cheap and works REALLY well. I've probably had 5 tubes of this stuff since it came out because I am never disappointed in it.


I guess 12 mascaras is a lot, but I love it so much and I am always experimenting with new mascaras. Do you have any favorites? If so, help a girl out and let me know in the comments!

xoxo,


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE mascara posts!! Probably one of my favorite beauty products :) far and away my holy grail is a FOUR DOLLAR MASCARA - Essence brand "Get BIG Lashes" in the black tube! I used Prestige brand mascara "My Biggest Lashes" (in the [ink tube) for a looooong time but it disappeared from a lot of stores so I wanted to find something more accessible. I honestly believe that there is little to no point in spending very much money on mascaras because you can find SUCH great ones for not very much $$$. However, I was super intrigued by the Urban Decay release of Perversion mascara and was suuuuper tempted to get it, but reviews were so mixed that I figured I would stick with my amazing mascara that is 5x cheaper <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try the Essence one! Mascara is my kryptonite. Do you get Ipsy? I'm supposed to get a sample size of the Perversion in it! Maybe I'll do a review of it on here! And yeah, you can totally find EXCELLENT mascaras for really low prices. Not-empty wallet + long lashes = happy me!

      Delete