Image Map

Sunday, September 7, 2014

A TOURIST IN MY OWN TOWN

This weekend, I had the privilege of having my good friend Kari, who had never been to visit me in Bellingham before.

We had fun driving around, catching up and having some much-needed girl talk all while I showed her around Bellingham. I never quite know what to show people who have never been here before, so I had some fun being a tourist in my own town.



As soon as Kari got to my house, she told me about how she laughed at the name "Chuckanut drive" when she was driving here, and as soon as she said the name I pretty much forced her into my car and took her on a drive along Chuckanut. We stopped at a little turnout and messed around taking some photos and enjoying the scenery of Bellingham Bay.












Afterward, we headed to a cutesy little neighborhood in Bellingham called Fairhaven and looked through some book shops, gift shops and my personal favorite — the olive oil shop (Drizzle.) After we messed around a little, we went downstairs and got some lunch at the Colophon Cafe. I've been to the Colophon a few times before and have been impressed with the food every time, but today the meals were pretty lackluster. Kari opted for a bleu cheese burger and I had a caesar salad with smoked salmon that wasn't very filling and the salad was pretty warm. Whadda heck, Colophon? Pls step up your food game because I don't want to be disappointed by you again.

I did manage to find n awesome magazine that I had never heard of before called Bitch magazine, which is 'feminist response to pop culture." Ummm, if that's not Allie in five words, then I don't know what is. I also managed to find #GIRLBOSS which I have been looking for everywhere (and by everywhere I mean Barnes and Noble and then today at Village Books.)




We then headed to Whatcom Falls and took some fun photos of the falls and messed with camera settings and long exposures, as well as some fun portraits. There was a young woman who was taking photos for what we think was a quincanera in a bright blue dress.


Being the weirdo that I am, I showed her around Bayview Cemetery and snapped this shot of the old abbey. This cemetery is seriously beautiful and has tombstones from the 1800's. I love killing time here. (Pun intended.)


We ended our little excursion at one of my faaavorite places in Bellingham  — Chocolate Necessities. I wrote a story about this shop for The Western Front a few months ago and ever since I have been coming here to get gelato. I had coffee and dark belgian chocolate while Kari had lemon and red orange.

Not pictured: copious amounts of laughter and messy burgers at Boomers at 9 p.m.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute post, I love all of the photography - especially the long exposure shot of the water fall. There's nothing better than exploring with good friends.
    nlmorgan, lifestyle & beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We had some fun playing with long exposures. I agree, nothing quite better than exploring with friends! ^_^

    ReplyDelete